Friday, February 11, 2011

Rail Groundbreaking Set for 'Choo Choo Choo'

If you say it fast, it does kinda sound like the date selected for Honolulu rail's ceremonial groundbreaking – 2/22.* Advocates welcome the event as the start of a construction process that will add thousands of jobs in the near term and enhance travel mobility for Oahu residents for decades to come.

“It’s time to celebrate,” said Mayor Peter Carlisle. “Many people have waited so long and worked hard to finally get to this point. This project will provide thousands of jobs for our local work force, relieve traffic congestion, and pave the way for an exciting and better future for Oahu residents.”

The public event will begin at 10 a.m. along Kualakai Parkway, formerly known as North-South Road, according to a City press release.

It’s been a long time coming, and now it’s just a couple weekends away. Have a good one.

* Just to show we're not alone in making the 2 2 choo choo connection, here's what we just received by email from a long-time rail booster. He says, "There was a song I used to sing in several a capella groups back in prep school" and university:
My cutie's due on the 2:22,
She'll be comin' through on the big choo-choo.
She's been away for months,
And I haven't cheated once.
Stayed home nights, didn't dance,
Wasn't takin' any chance,
Didn't flirt, though it hurt,
I just couldn't do my little cutie dirt.
Now the days are long and the nights are black,
But I just know that she'll be back,
Cause I love her and she love me, and saaay ...
Don't say there ain't no Santa Claus,
I know damn well there is because ...
My cutie's due on the 2:22 to-daaaaay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Doug. I love your blog. I am a rail supporter and was overjoyed to hear the announcement for groundbreaking. Aloha. Rick